EDUCATION – KĒDZÉNT’ĒDÉ KEDZEDĮ̄
(WE ARE ALL LEARNING)
The Liard First Nation Education Department provides support in the form of funding, programming, information and mentorship to LFN members who are engaged in education at any stage in life.
- early childhood development programs;
- support and programming for students from Kindergarten to Grade 12;
- programming support for post-secondary students; and
- training support across our departments.
KINDERGARTEN TO GRADE 12 PROGRAMMING
LFN recognizes the value of both a traditional education and classroom studies. The following programs support young LFN members on their learning path. Kaska language is taught at both the elementary and high schools in Watson Lake.
- Johnson Elementary Kaska language – Kathy Magun
- Watson Lake Secondary Kaska teacher – Linda McDonald
- A Liard First Nation CELC (Community Education Liaison Coordinator) acts as student/parent staff advocate/liaison at both the elementary and high schools in Watson Lake.
- Watson Lake Secondary LFN CELC – Fran Stockman
- Johnson Elementary LFN CELC- vacant
Tutoring is available for LFN students after school, 3-5 pm
Johnson Elementary School Website
Watson Lake Secondary School
LFN’s Post-Secondary Sponsorship Program
Liard First Nation supports members to help them achieve their educational goals at post-secondary institutions for short courses, college programs, obtaining skilled trades certification and university degrees.
The application deadlines for funding under the LFN Post-Secondary Support Program are as follows:
|Fall Semester||June 15|
|Winter Semester||November 15|
|Spring/Summer Semesters||March 15|
NOTE: If the stated date falls on a weekend, the application deadline will be extended to the end of the next business day.
(Annually, funds are limited and are subjected to change.)
- Must be a full-time student (as defined by the program/institution)
- Must be a Registered Status Member of Liard First Nation
- Must be attending an eligible accredited post-secondary institution as per the Gov of Canada (if your post-secondary institution does not appear on the list, please contact the LFN Education Department for further verification.)
Liard First Nation Post Secondary Sponsorship form – Please send completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Full-time Post-Secondary students receive a monthly living allowance, as determined by the following table provided annually by CIRNAC.
Living allowance is determined by student status and province of residence during studies. Additionally, no matter what student status, the student may claim up to 3 dependents to claim additional monthly allowance.
Books/Supply allowance is provided as a lump sum per semester. Subject to funding availability, Travel Allowance may be available for all eligible students.
Contact: Funding@liardfirstnation.ca or 867-536-5203
Liard First Nation Post-Secondary Policy (Draft – 2019)
LIARD FIRST NATION HEALTH WORKER EDUCATION
The Liard First Nation Health Department offers support and financing for our members to obtain certifications in various Health Service Provider professions.
Please visit the Health Department page on this website for details or contact the LFN Health Department for more information.