Income Assistance - Dene Gūtīe Negūdā́ī Dege Getsʼį̄́’ Nêhdī (Help the People, So They Live Well)
Income Assistance is a financial subsidy provided by the federal government to Liard First Nation (LFN) members who are in need of short or long-term financial support due to health or personal circumstances.
The Social Assistance Department of Liard First Nation helps LFN members with completing their applications as well as doing the reporting required in order to receive Income Assistance.
- to help people who can’t work; or,
- who have a low paying job, and need a budget to top up their wages;
- to provide funds to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter (utilities and rent);
- to provide employment and pre-employment supports.
- to help people who are in financial need to obtain furniture, winter clothing and other goods and services essential to the physical or social well-being of a client.
IMPORTANT NOTES: Ongoing Income Assistance
Starting in May 2018, a new process will be put in place for people on monthly Social/Income Assistance. Monthly applications will be processed and you will only be required to see a Social Assistance Worker if your circumstances have changed.
- Complete a MAP form, available from the LFN Main Administration office
- Attach current utility bill and bank statement, showing last 45 days
- Leave at the reception counter in the LFN Main Administration office
Applications should be dropped off between the 20th and 25th of each month and your cheque will be available on the first day of the next month (i.e. within 5-10 days).
IMPORTANT: If your complete application is not received by the 25th, there is no guarantee that your cheque will be available on the first of the month.
The Income Assistance Program provides funds to individuals (known as clients) and families (clients and their dependents) as a last resort where all other means of generating income to cover basic needs have been exhausted.
- basic and special needs of clients and their dependents; and
- services that help clients get back into to and stay in the workforce.
The expected results of this program are that:
- men, women and children have access to supports to meet their basic and special needs;
- men and women have access to supports that help them to transition to and remain in the workforce; and
- men and women are employable and able to become or remain attached to the workforce.
Income Assistance helps cover the following items:
- Utilities (electricity)
- Fuel for heat (oil, propane, wood)
- Basic needs (food, clothing, incidentals, and laundry)
- Allowance for phone
- between the ages of 19 and 64 and their spouses who reside in one of the LFN communities or in Watson Lake; and
- are without sufficient resources to cover household expenses or temporarily unemployed and need assistance to cover household expenses.
Applicants must declare all household income, provide utility bill information and fill out forms required for client file. ID may be required for non-members (spouses of members).
The LFN Social Assistance Department helps LFN members with applications, reporting, and any other assistance needed in order to obtain income assistance.
If you are currently receiving Income Assistance or have questions about how to get Income Assistance, please contact the LFN team.
Call our LFN Social Assistance office to make an appointment to apply. Be sure to bring the appropriate information, otherwise, you will be asked to reschedule and your application will be delayed.
Please bring the following information to your appointment. If you don’t bring in all of the documents listed below, you may not be able to receive Income Assistance.
- Social Insurance Number.
- Yukon Health Care Insurance number for you and your family members OR Certificate of Indian status ("Status Card") for you and your family members.
- Spouse/Partner Declaration. If you are married or have a common-law partner, she/he must attend the appointment with you.
- Income Information. Proof of family income, such as pay stubs, child benefit payments, and your last income tax return.
- Expenses Information. Applicants must provide proof of monthly expenses by providing receipts or invoices for rent, fuel, and power.
- Job Search form. Download or pick up from LFN and fill out in advance.
- Tax Return. Clients can request this from Canada Revenue Agency by calling 1-800-387- 1139 or by registering for an account on their website at www.cra.gc.ca
- National Child Tax Benefit. Get this from Canada Revenue Agency by calling 1-800-387- 1139 or by registering for an account on their website at www.cra.gc.ca
- Landlord form. Download or pick up from LFN and fill out in advance.
- Bank statements for previous 45 days.
- Current utility bills.
During our first meeting with you, the Social Assistance Worker will ask about your current financial situation, family situation, health, education, work history and other relevant information.
Appointments usually last about 45 minutes.
We will do our best to help you. If you're not eligible for regular assistance, you may be able to receive emergency assistance if your health or safety is at risk.